One of my favorite sides to pair with great barbeque is some good ol sweet baked beans! I personally prefer to make my beans from scratch and avoid the canned versions. When cooking baked beans for others I usually make them without any meat because some people don’t eat pork. My specialty is Peach Baked Beans which are great when peaches are in season. During the winter I usually like my baked beans kicked up a notch so they have bold robust flavor. Maple Bourbon Baked Beans are great and easy to make, here is the recipe.
1 Pound dry Great Northern Beans
1 Cup Bourbon (I use Maker’s Mark)
1 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
1 Cup Barbeque Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays for this recipe)
1 Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
1 Cup Water
1/3 Cup Ketchup
1/4 Cup Yellow Mustard
1/4 Cup Light Flavor Molasses (I use Brer Rabbit) – http://amzn.to/1MMZo5q
1/4 Cup Olive Oil – EVOO
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp Lee & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- Rinse beans throughly.
- Place in a large pot and cover with water
- Bring beans to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, uncovered. Shut the heat off, cover the pot, and let stand for 1 hour.
- After soaking drain and rinse beans well under running water.
- Return beans to pot, add water, and simmer 45 minutes, or until quite tender.
- While beans are cooking, combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl, and whisk to combine until smooth.
- After beans are done simmering, drain them, add to dutch oven and mix everything well.
- Get your grill up to 300 – 350 degrees and cook beans covered for 2 hours, remove lid and cook the remaining hour or 2 uncovered to thicken.
- Serve immediately.